These Broccoli, Cheddar & Zaatar bites are wonderful for any time of day. Breakfast, brunch, or as an appetizer. A healthy snack on the go or a fun way to get kids to eat their veggies!
Did you know that broccoli is one of the world’s healthiest foods? It’s a great source of fiber, high in vitamin C and antioxidants, promotes heart health, and helps to lower cholesterol. So, if you’re a lover of broccoli and all of its nutritional benefits, then this recipe is for you! And if you’re not a fan of the cruciferous vegetable, these delicious bites may just change your mind!
This recipe definitely showcases how perfectly broccoli pairs with cheddar cheese, but we felt it needed a bit of a kick. Our favorite way to add that needed kick? Zaatar! Zaatar is a Middle Eastern spice mixture that’s tangy and fragrant with a hint of nuttiness and citrus. When purchasing zaatar, you’ll have to be careful as the choice of ingredients and their qualities vary immensely. Be sure to stick to a trusted authentic zaatar brand that contains only the key ingredients of the pure zaatar herb (wild thyme), sumac, and sesame seeds – no fillers and wild thyme substitutes, no tasteless ground straw, no artificial ingredients - and your taste buds won’t be disappointed!
Broccoli, Cheddar & Zaatar BitesPrep Time: 10 mins, Cook Time: 25 mins, Total Time: 35 mins
Servings: About 7
Serving Size: 3 bites
Calories: 133, Fat: 9g, Protein: 7g, Carbs: 6g, Fiber: 1g
Ingredients1 large head of broccoli cut into florets (about 2 cups)
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
¼ cup minced yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon zaatar
- Begin by steaming the broccoli for a few minutes, until tender, but not mushy. Allow the broccoli to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a mini muffin pan with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Finely chop the steamed broccoli.
- Combine the broccoli, panko, onion, garlic, and cheese in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, and zaatar until smooth.
- Fold the egg mixture into the broccoli mixture and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture, by the tablespoonful, into the prepared mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from the muffin pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
We think these broccoli bites taste great on their own, but if you’d like something to dip them in, whip up a quick yogurt sauce by combining ½ cup plain, Greek yogurt, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 2 teaspoons zaatar, and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes for some heat (optional).