When you think of flavors that are associated with pumpkin, what comes to mind? Probably cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger, which all pair beautifully with pumpkin. But in this recipe, we’ve given pumpkin a special spin with the addition of feta and zaatar.
You may now ask what is zaatar? It's a Mediterranean spice mix with mainstay ingredients (if reputable classic blend) of wild thyme (native to Middle East region, also called Hyssop), sumac, and sesame seeds. Za'atar is a great way to add a delicious Mediterranean flair just about any dish. It is also believed that the Hyssop herb in a classic mix of Zaatar offers health benefits.
The crumbled feta spreads bits of delicious tang cheese throughout, while a quality and fresh zaatar adds an earthy and hearty depth. The pungent flavor and floral aroma of zaatar's wild thyme, the lemony vibe of its sumac, and the crunch of its sesame seed creates a new and special seasoning taste for any bread.
This bread is quick to prepare, packed with vitamins A and K from the pumpkin, and makes a great healthy snack or accompaniment to any soup…especially our Zaatar Spiced Pumpkin Bisque. (Zaatar Spiced Pumpkin Bisque)
Pumpkin Bread with Zaatar and FetaServings: 10
Prep Time: 10 mins, Cook Time: 55 mins, Total Time: 65 mins
Calories per serving: 254 ,Fat: 14g, Protein: 6g, Carbs: 25g, Fiber: 2g
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree
½ cup coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon sugar
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
Pinch of sea salt
2 tablespoons zaatar
½ cup crumbled feta
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 5” loaf pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and zaatar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, coconut oil, eggs, and sugar until smooth.
- Slowly stir the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the feta cheese and transfer to the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve with butter and a sprinkle of zaatar, if desired.