A simple, one-dish recipe that’s guaranteed to become a Sunday morning favorite!
Craving something on the savory side in lieu of overly sweet pancakes and French toast? Why not try a twist on the classic breakfast casserole? This recipe starts with breakfast staples like eggs and hash browns and combines them with flavorful Mediterranean ingredients like feta and Kalamata olives. We could have seasoned the dish with some salt and pepper and called it a day, but we really wanted to kick up the flavor so we added a hefty dose of zaatar. Zaatar and eggs are a delightful combination, but using a quality zaatar is key. When shopping for zaatar, be sure to choose a blend that uses natural, high-quality ingredients and doesn't contain things like wheat or citric acid.
This casserole can easily be made ahead of time. Simply assemble everything, cover tightly with plastic wrap, refrigerate, and pop in the oven the next morning!
Zaatar Breakfast Casserole
Prep Time: 10 mins, Cook Time: 55 mins, Total Time: 65 mins
Serving Size: 1/8 of casserole
Calories: 224, Fat: 14g, Protein: 13g, Carbs: 12g, Fiber: 2g
Ingredients4 cups shredded hash browns (found in the frozen section), thawed
12 large eggs
½ cup half & half
¾ cup diced yellow onion
½ cup diced red bell pepper
¼ cup sliced Kalamata olives
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons Zaatar + additional for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9 x 13” baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil.
- Evenly spread the hash browns into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl, add the half & half, and whisk until smooth.
- Stir the onion, bell pepper, Kalamata olives, garlic, Zaatar, and half of the feta cheese into the egg mixture and mix well.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture over the hash browns, top with the remaining feta cheese, and sprinkle with additional Zaatar, if desired.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown and set in the center.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.