Potato salad has long been a staple at picnics and potlucks, but most are laden with fattening mayonnaise that doesn’t hold up to the summertime heat. This potato salad is all about the dressing. Ingredients like apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and zaatar give it a delicious, robust flavor profile without the fat. We’ve also thrown in a bit of thyme to add a stronger, herbaceous note to the salad. Ingredients in zaatar can vary greatly - when shopping for zaatar, seek out a mix that includes only the mainstay ingredients: the wild zaatar herb (thyme), ground sumac, sesame seeds, and little to no sea salt.
This light and refreshing salad can be served warm, cold, or at room temperature and is the perfect accompaniment to hamburgers and hotdogs!
Zaatar Potato Salad
Prep Time: 5 mins, Cook Time: 20 mins, Total Time: 25 mins
Serving Size: About 1 cup
Calories: 228, Fat: 9g, Protein: 4g, Carbs: 33g, Fiber: 4g
2 ½ pounds red potatoes
2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
¼ cup diced red onion
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons white balsamic or apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons Zaatar
1 ½ teaspoons wild thyme
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Scrub the potatoes to remove any dirt, place in the boiling water, and cook for 15-20 minutes, until fork tender. (Cooking time will depend on the size of the potatoes.)
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together the olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, Zaatar, and wild thyme.
- Once the potatoes are tender, drain and rinse with cold water. Allow to stand until cool enough to handle.
- Pat the potatoes dry and cut into 1/2”-3/4” chunks.
- Add the potatoes, diced onion, and sliced celery to a large bowl and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Toss until well coated.
- Serve and enjoy!
Notes: Toss the potatoes with the vinaigrette while they are still warm for maximum absorption.
Add protein to the salad by mixing in 2-3 hard boiled eggs that have been roughly chopped.