Potato salad has long been a staple at picnics and potlucks, but most are laden with fattening mayonnaise that doesn’t hold up to the summertime heat. This potato salad is all about the dressing. Ingredients like apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and Tyme Food’s Zaatar give it a delicious flavor profile without the fat. In addition to the Zaatar, which contains 30% wild thyme, we’ve added a bit of extra thyme to add a stronger, herbaceous note to the salad. A little goes a long way with our wild thyme as it contains high amounts of thymol oil, the essential oil that produces its intense flavor.
This light and refreshing salad can be served warm, cold, or at room temperature and is the perfect accompaniment to hamburgers and hotdogs!
Zaatar Potato Salad
Yield: 5-6 cups
2 ½ pounds red potatoes
2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
¼ cup diced red onion
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons white balsamic or apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons Zaatar
1 ½ teaspoons wild thyme
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Scrub the potatoes to remove any dirt, place in the boiling water, and cook for 15-20 minutes, until fork tender. (Cooking time will depend on the size of the potatoes.)
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together the olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, Zaatar, and wild thyme.
- Once the potatoes are tender, drain and rinse with cold water. Allow to stand until cool enough to handle.
- Pat the potatoes dry and cut into 1/2”-3/4” chunks.
- Add the potatoes, diced onion, and sliced celery to a large bowl and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Toss until well coated.
- Serve and enjoy!
Notes: Toss the potatoes with the vinaigrette while they are still warm for maximum absorption.