This light and healthy quinoa tabbouleh is packed with wholesome ingredients and tossed in a deliciously unique zaatar dressing.
Tabbouleh is a popular side dish at Middle Eastern restaurants and there are many variations of it out there. Some use mint, some don’t use cucumber, but all have loads of fresh parsley. The salad is traditionally dressed in a simple vinaigrette of olive oil and lemon juice, but we thought ‘why leave it at that?’ and tossed in a good measure of zaatar. Zaatar is a spice blend that contains dried herbs, sesame seeds, and salt. Ingredients and quality can vary greatly between brands - for the best flavor, be sure to seek out a brand that contains pure, high quality ingredients with no fillers. Choosing a brand that uses authentic thyme (the wild zaatar herb) is important because it ensures a high essential oil content, in turn giving you more bang for your buck when it comes to purchasing zaatar!
This tabbouleh salad makes a great side dish to grilled chicken, fish, or lamb kabobs. Or, if you’d like to turn it into a complete, vegetarian meal, try adding a can of rinsed and drained chickpeas!
Zaatar Quinoa Tabbouleh
Prep Time: 15 mins, Cook Time: 20 mins, Total Time: 35 mins
Serving Size: About 1 cup
Calories: 209, Fat: 15g, Protein: 4g, Carbs: 18g, Fiber: 3g
1 cup quinoa (white, red, or tri-color all work well)
2 cups water
2 cups finely chopped curly leaf parsley
1 cup halved or quartered cherry tomatoes
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
½ cup minced red onion
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons Zaatar
Pinch of sea salt
- Prepare the quinoa according to the package instructions. (Most call for a 1:2 ratio of quinoa to water, so 1 cup quinoa + 2 cups water.) Remove from heat once done cooking and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the cooked quinoa in a large bowl and add the chopped parsley, cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber, and minced red onion. Toss to combine.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, Zaatar, and salt in a mason jar, screw the lid on tightly, and shake vigorously until everything is well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa mixture and mix well.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight to chill thoroughly and allow the flavors to combine.