If you’re looking for a simple side dish to serve alongside steak, chicken or fish, these zaatar roasted vegetables are just the thing! This recipe requires very few ingredients, little effort, and around 20 minutes of your time. What we love most about this recipe though, is its versatility. Not a fan of the vegetables listed below? Replace them with your favorites! Cauliflower, parsnips, asparagus, and potatoes are all great choices.
The process of roasting brings out the natural sugars resulting in beautifully caramelized veggies that are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Most recipes for roasted vegetables call for a simple seasoning of salt and pepper which can leave a lot to be desired as far as flavor goes. We’ve skipped the salt and pepper and used zaatar instead. You may now ask "What is Za'atar?" This spice blend is a staple in Middle Eastern kitchens and typically contains the wild zaatar herb native to the region, ground sumac, roasted sesame seeds, and little to no sea salt. It adds just the right amount of exotic flavor to dishes such as these humble roasted vegetables. Make sure however, you find a reputable Zaatar brand with honest ingredients and no unknown fillings and substitutes. Here are FAQ's about Za'atar including health benefits of Za'atar.
Zaatar Roasted Vegetables with Goat Cheese
Prep Time: 10 mins, Cook Time: 20 mins, Total Time: 30 mins
Serving Size: About 1 cup
Calories: 200, Fat: 14g, Protein: 5g, Carbs: 15g, Fiber: 6g
Ingredients3-4 large carrots
3 cups broccoli florets
1 red onion
1 lb. Brussels sprouts
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons Zaatar
2 oz. (about 1/3 cup) goat cheese crumbles
Small bunch of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel the carrots and slice diagonally into ½” slices. Peel the onion and slice into wedges. Cut the ends from the Brussels sprouts, remove any yellow outer leaves, and slice in half lengthwise.
- Spread the vegetables onto two large baking sheets.
- Add the Zaatar to the olive oil and mix until well combined.
- Drizzle the Zaatar olive oil over the vegetables and toss with hands until the vegetables are well coated with the mixture.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a large serving platter, and sprinkle with goat cheese crumbles and chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately.
Tips to Perfectly Roasted Vegetables
- Don’t overcrowd the pan. Give the vegetables plenty of room to get crispy and browned.
- To ensure even cooking, cut the vegetables into similar sizes.
- A sturdy, metal baking sheet is best, but glass and ceramic will work as well.
- Give the vegetables a shake, or turn with a spatula about halfway through to help them brown on all sides.
- Don’t be afraid to get creative with your vegetable combinations!