Hummus has been around for so long that it is often described as one of the oldest known prepared foods. While the exact origin is unclear, we do know that ancient Greek philosophers referenced its nutritional benefits in their writings. Hummus is a wonderful food for vegans and vegetarians because of its high iron content. It also contains beneficial amounts of vitamin C and vitamin B6.
Today, hummus exists in so many variations that it’s often hard to choose while grocery shopping. So why not make your own? It’s much easier than you’d think and it allows you to know exactly what’s going into it. No soybean oil, citric acid, guar gum, or artificial additives here! Just wholesome ingredients seasoned to perfection with quality and fresh classic mix of zaatar spice.
You may be asking yourself what is zaatar? It's a Mediterranean spice mix with mainstay ingredients (if premium brand) of wild thyme (native to Middle East region), sumac, and sesame seeds. It offers limitless culinary uses, and even health benefits. Read hear about zaatar benefits.
Za'atar Spiced Hummus
Recipe Category: Appetizer
Recipe Cuisine: Mediterranean
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Total Time: 5 mins
Serving Size: About ¼ cup
Calories: 146, Fat: 12g , Protein: 3g, Carbs: 10g, Fiber: 3g
Ingredients1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas
4 tablespoons tahini
1 cloves of garlic (small)
1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + additional for drizzling
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons Zaatar + additional for sprinkling
4 to 5 tablespoons lemon Juice
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Combine the chickpeas, tahini, Zaatar, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor.
- Pulse several times to incorporate everything.
- With the blender or food processor on low, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Scrape down the sides of the blender or food processor with a rubber spatula.
- Continue blending and add the water, one tablespoon at a time, until a smooth and creamy consistency is achieved. (This may take more than 4 tablespoons.)
- Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with Zaatar.
- Serve with warm pita bread, fresh vegetables, pretzels, etc. Also try it as a spread on sandwiches and wraps!