Sweet, savory, crunchy, and satisfying, these Zaatar spiced nuts have it all! They make a wonderful addition to cheese platters and are great for tossing on top of salads. Serve them at cocktail parties, enjoy them as a snack, or jar them to give as gifts around the holidays. The possibilities are endless!
The nuts get their sensational sweet and savory flavor from the use of zaatar and clover honey. Zaatar, a staple in Middle-Eastern kitchens, is a blend of pure, wild thyme, sumac, and roasted sesame seeds. This combination of herbs and spices mixed with sweet honey infuses the nuts with an exotic flavor. And the addition of egg whites helps to ensure extra crunchiness, resulting in a delightful, addictive snack.
Speaking of snacking…nuts make a wonderful snack for a variety of reasons. They’re packed with protein, which helps you to stay fuller longer. They contain healthy, omega-3 fatty acids, they’re a good source of fiber, and can also help to lower blood sugar and cholesterol levels. Any combination of nuts will work in this recipe, so feel free to use your favorites!
Zaatar Spiced Nuts
Prep Time: 5 mins, Cook Time: 30 mins, Total Time: 35 mins
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Calories: 179, Fat: 14g, Protein: 7g, Carbs: 9g, Fiber: 3g
Ingredients1 cup almonds
½ cup peanuts
½ cup pecan halves
½ cup cashews
½ cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons pure clover honey
2 tablespoons Zaatar, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the egg whites and honey in a large bowl and whisk until light and frothy.
- Add the nuts to the bowl and slowly sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the Zaatar while tossing with a spatula.
- Toss until the nuts are evenly coated with the mixture.
- Spread onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the nuts from the oven and toss well with a spatula. Reduce the oven temperature to 250°F and continue baking for 20 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and evenly sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of Zaatar over the nuts.
- Allow to cool before serving or packaging as gifts.
*Use any combination of nuts that you’d like to measure 3 cups total. Just be sure to use raw, unsalted nuts.