You may find the concept of a “veggie burger” to be an oxymoron, but we urge you to give them a try! These super simple chickpea burgers are deliciously savory, crisp on the outside and packed with wholesome ingredients.
Chickpeas are a wonderful source of protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, but they are definitely lacking in the flavor department. Our secret weapon in this recipe is Tyme Foods’ Zaatar. Our zaatar is a quality mix of the zaatar herb, sumac, and sesame and contains zero fillers (unlike many commercial zaatars). This powerful blend of authentic spices adds tang and zest to these burgers making them remarkably flavorful and crave-worthy.
Did you know that a diet rich in vegetables, legumes, and whole grains provides sustained energy and helps to reduce blood sugar levels? Going meatless, even once a week, has numerous health benefits and has really been catching on lately. Not only does it lower your carbon footprint, it helps to reduce your risk of preventable conditions such as obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.
Zaatar Veggie Burgers
Yield: 4 burgers
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 large carrot, shredded
¼ cup minced red onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
2 tablespoons Zaatar
3 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
Juice of ½ a lemon
Olive oil for cooking
Buns, lettuce, tomato, onion, and condiments for serving
- Combine the chickpeas, carrot, onion, parsley, egg, and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse until well combined but still slightly chunky.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in the zaatar and breadcrumbs. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions and shape into patties.
- Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the veggie burgers for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Remove from the skillet and serve on a bun with your choice of toppings.
*For an added kick, whip up some zaatar mayonnaise by stirring 1-2 teaspoons zaatar into a few tablespoons of mayonnaise. Spread onto the burger buns and enjoy!