Crisp, creamy, and packed with flavor, these spinach and zaatar pinwheels are the perfect addition to any dinner party or potluck. They require very few ingredients and the use of store-bought puff pastry makes them a breeze to prepare!
Spinach and feta cheese is a combination used often in Middle Eastern cooking and a delicious combination it is, but we thought we’d spice it up a bit by adding a hearty dose of zaatar.
You may now ask what is zaatar? It's a Mediterranean spice mix with mainstay ingredients (if reputable brand) of wild thyme (native to Middle East region), sumac, and sesame seeds. Za'atar is a great way to add a delicious Mediterranean flair to just about any dish. Zaatar even offers health benefits.
It’s important, however, to choose a reputable zaatar brand that is honest about its ingredients with no unknown fillings and substitutes.
This combination of high-quality zaatar herb and spices is just what was needed to take this mash up of healthy spinach, creamy cheese, and buttery dough to the next level!
Creamy Spinach & Zaatar PinwheelsRecipe Category: Hors d'oeuvres
Recipe Cuisine: American
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Serving Size: 1 pinwheel
Ingredients1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 (10 oz.) package frozen, chopped spinach
4 oz. (½ block) cream cheese, softened
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
3 tablespoons zaatar + additional for sprinkling
1 tablespoon water
- Thaw the puff pastry according to the package instructions. Thaw the spinach in a colander and squeeze as much excess water from it as you can.
- Combine the spinach, cream cheese, feta cheese, and zaatar in a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Carefully spread the spinach mixture over the entire surface of the puff pastry. (You’ll probably want to use your hands for this.)
- Starting at the edge closest to you, begin to gently roll the puff pastry until you’ve formed a log.
- Transfer the puff pastry log to the freezer for about 20-30 minutes. (This makes it easier to slice.)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk the egg and water together in a small bowl.
- Remove the puff pastry log from the freezer and cut into ½” slices.
- Place the slices onto the prepared baking sheet, brush with the egg mixture, and sprinkle with additional zaatar, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.