We love using zaatar to add zest and spice to simple dishes and today’s recipe is a perfect example of how it can completely transform a popular party appetizer.
You may first ask what is zaatar? It's an increasingly popular Mediterranean spice mix with mainstay ingredients (if reputable classic blend) of wild thyme (native to Middle East region, also called Hyssop), sumac, and roasted sesame seeds. Za'atar is a great way to add a delicious Mediterranean flair just about any dish. It is also believed that the Hyssop herb in a classic mix of Zaatar offers health benefits. It’s important to note also that there are no standards on what may be called a zaatar mix. Therefore, It’s important to buy a reputable zaatar brand that is honest about its ingredients with no unknown fillers and substitutes.
The combination of the zaatar ingredients adds a herby brightness and slightly nutty flavor which balances out the richness of the cheese in this delicious dip. This simple recipe can be mixed up ahead of time and thrown in the oven when you’re ready to enjoy it. Whether it’s game day with the boys or game night with the family, this zesty, creamy, and totally cheesy appetizer is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Grab a chip and get ready to dig in!
Hot Spinach, Swiss, and Zaatar DipPrep Time: 5 mins, Cook Time: 35 mins, Total Time: 40 mins
Serving Size: About ½ cup
Calories: 272, Fat: 22 g, Protein: 14 g, Carbs: 4 g, Fiber: 1 g
1 (8 oz.) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
2 ½ cups shredded Swiss cheese
¼ cup minced red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ tablespoons zaatar + 1 teaspoon for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9 inch glass pie plate with a bit of olive oil.
- Combine the spinach (make sure it’s been squeezed of all excess moisture), cream cheese, sour cream, red onion, garlic, 1 ½ tablespoons of zaatar, and about 2 cups of the Swiss cheese in a large bowl.
- Mix until everything is well combined.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared pie plate.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Swiss cheese and about 1 teaspoon of zaatar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve with tortilla chips, pita chips, pretzels, fresh veggies, etc.