Are you looking for an appetizer that’s light, simple, and can be made ahead of time? These Smoked Salmon and Zaatar Pinwheels are just the thing! Fear not though, you don’t have to wait for a party to whip up a batch of these beauties! They can be enjoyed anytime, anywhere.
We already know that smoked salmon goes great with cream cheese (bagels and lox anyone?), but we wanted to add some zest to this recipe so we threw in a dash of lemon and a healthy dose of zaatar. You may now ask what is zaatar?
It is an aromatic and incredibly flavorful Mediterranean spice blend that lends an earthy flavor (from wild thyme native to the Middle East region) with a hint of citrus (from sumac) and nuttiness (from sesame seeds). Za'atar is a great way to add a delicious Mediterranean flair to just about any dish. Zaatar even offers health benefits.It’s amazing how spices can elevate a recipe to a whole new level! If you’ve been on the lookout for a new “go to” spice blend, it’s time to stock your pantry with zaatar! Options abound when purchasing zaatar online, and it's important to choose a reputable zaatar brand that is honest about its ingredients with no unknown fillings and substitutes..
Smoked Salmon and Zaatar Pinwheels
Prep Time: 15 mins, Cook Time: 0 mins, Total Time: 15 mins
Serving Size: About 2-3 pinwheels
Calories: 231, Fat: 13 g, Protein: 11 g, Carbs: 19 g, Fiber: 2 g
1 (8 oz.) package low-fat cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon zaatar + additional for sprinkling
8 oz. thinly sliced smoked salmon
1-2 large handfuls baby spinach
6-8 whole wheat tortillas
- Place the softened cream cheese in a bowl and stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and zaatar. Mix until well blended.
- To assemble the pinwheels, place a tortilla on a large piece of plastic wrap.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture over the entire tortilla.
- Arrange a layer of spinach leaves over the bottom half of the tortilla.
- Top the spinach with several pieces of smoked salmon and sprinkle with a pinch of zaatar.
- Roll the tortilla from the bottom up and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the tortillas for at least 2 hours. (These can be made several days in advance.)
- Remove the tortilla rolls from the refrigerator and slice into 1 ½” pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!